Re: [LUG] Advice - Root Log-in

On Friday 31 March 2006 11:06 am, David Bell wrote:
> Speaking purely as a Debian Sarge home desktop user, sitting behind a
> router and IPCop box, is it a significant security risk to permit root to
> log-in to the KDE Desktop?

There is nothing you can do with a root login that you cannot do from a user
login with su and/or sudo.

In all cases, the user account is preferable because you really shouldn't be
using web browsers and email clients as root. (When you're trying to fix
problems on a box by being root, you can't tell me you aren't going to want
to browse Google or check for answers via email.) Configuration programmes
may well need root permission from time to time - the programmes are written
to support such usage - but those programmes that are expected to be used by
a "normal" user may inadvertently screw up the system when run as root. A
crash in an email client running as root can seriously ruin your day.
:-(

--

Neil Williams