Re: [LUG] Advice - Root Log-in

On Friday 31 March 2006 11:35 am, David Bell wrote:
> On Friday 31 March 2006 11:12, Steve Marvell wrote:
> > It prevents bad habits.
>
> I can't see how it does.  One can still su <browser/email whatever>.
>
> Assuming that root <me> is acting responsibly, what are the security risks?

1. su is a positive action, not a default. When launching a programme from a
menu, it is the default action that is always used. If you want to run a
programme as root, fine, but it should ALWAYS be a deliberate action. This
increases the chances that you'll remember to take more care whilst using
such a programme.

2. Acting responsibly and acting 100% reliably are NOT the same. Even the most
responsible people have Doh! moments. When running as root, these moments
become system-critical.

--

Neil Williams