Re: [LUG] Advice - Root Log-in

On Friday 31 March 2006 19:47, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Friday 31 March 2006 11:06 am, David Bell wrote:
> > Speaking purely as a Debian Sarge home desktop user, sitting behind a
> > router and IPCop box, is it a significant security risk to permit root to
> > log-in to the KDE Desktop?
>
> There is nothing you can do with a root login that you cannot do from a
> user login with su and/or sudo.

Agreed, but it doesn't answer my original question.  Is there a *security*
risk using Root logins, for purely administering the system, versus su/sudo
as a user.  Discounting the tales of woe about idiots who browse/email etc.
or bumble fingers that delete files etc.; whilst logged in as Root.

> In all cases, the user account is preferable because you really shouldn't
> be using web browsers and email clients as root. (When you're trying to fix
> problems on a box by being root, you can't tell me you aren't going to want
> to browse Google or check for answers via email.)

An assumption that a person will invoke sod's law.  Being a GUI sort of person
there ain't any browsers or email icons on the Root desktop to tempt me :~)

--
W. Devon