[LUG] running commands as daemons or detached processes

Hi,

Is there a simple way to start a process as a daemon?? or make a process detach from my terminal, so it runs as a background process??

Basically I want to run:

"svscan /service"
as a background process.

I've added "svscan /service" to my inittab - however I would like to boot this process without restarting my server.

I imagine this should be pretty simple linux thing to do!

Cheers

Jody