Re: [LUG] Online verification of signed emails

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:37:46PM +0000, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> >Does anyone know of a website where you can paste a signed email and it
> >will confirm if the PGP signature is valid?
> >

> >Henry
> >

> Hi Henry,
>
> The only problem with this is that you would have to trust the server as
> well as it could just lie and you would then be in a position of
> believing a sig is valid when in fact it is not. It would be fairly easy
> to implement just accept the email (with in line pgp only) as a http
> post, run it through gpg to find what key has been used, import that key
> and run it through gpg again and send results back to web page.

Good point. It is just that quite a few people keep coming back to me
with something along the lines of "what is this file *.asc on your
email". What I was looking for was a "reputable" site that people could

a) Learn what GPG is and what it protects (I tend to use the
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST04-018.html for this at the moment. I
know Microsoft had an article recommending digital signatures this but I
cannot now find it. The nearest MS page I can find is
http://tinyurl.com/kl555, but that is a long way from a Microsoft
recommendation)

b) Confirm the validity of the email

Programming my own webpage is a "bit" beyond my skills... :) but I need
to do something. Will think about it a bit more.

Tks