Re: [LUG] running commands as daemons or detached processes

jody salt wrote:

> "svscan /service"

nohup is fine for one off things, but the DJB way is to run svscan from
init.

http://www.thedjbway.org/svscanboot.html

But then I'm not a DJB fan, non-free software, poor documentation,
poorly maintained, no features, and an author with a serious attitude
problem.

Qmail sucks, you need to patch it to high heaven to get basic
functionality (or even to run on GNU/Linux).

My last deployment I was manually resolve conflicts between desired
patches, I've done more with Postfix since without having to step
outside the packages that come from the Debian stable repositories,
lovingly configured and compiled by Lamont Jones.

The Qmail code is tight, but that is about its only redeeming feature,
but not so tight as to not have mixed his integers and his pointers (C
sucks, we really should have embraced Java, or some other strongly typed
(or untyped?!) language for this sort of thing).

I run Postfix, the authors attitude couldn't be more different, although
neither tolerate fools gladly (and I don't guarantee some days I'm not
foolish - ymmv).