Re: [LUG] Open Source talk/demo any thoughts please

I believe the lug were / are looking at doing an event along the lines of promoting open source in devon, / cornwall, for business and education. It seems you have access to a venue and a date for when such an event can happen. Could this be a kind of joint event, I guess it would be more your event with help from the lug, which is just as good. The end goal is pretty much the same, promote open source / free software in our region

What we can give away ideas

1. Live cd's e.g knoppix or kanotix
2. CD's with open office, mozilla, thunderbird / firefox, plus info on why the latter two are a good option.

What sort of venue is available for the event, capacity, internet access speed, powerpoints,. and location.

A lug presence will demonstrate that there are people out there with skills, ok we are not all avaible to provide support, but there are probably users out there, looking for employment, contract work who may be able to gain employment using their OSS skills.

Paul

Keith Menadue wrote:

On the 22nd March Microsoft will be at the Maritime Museum Falmouth. They will be supporting lets-profit.org.uk ( I believe they have a £500,000 grant to assist ICT in Cornwall as part of Cornwall Enterprise). The nice people at lets-profit.org.uk have asked if I would talk /demo at a later date about Open Source and I have agreed to this.
They are coming to see me next Wednesday
I would like Linux and Open Source software like Open Office 2.0 to have a significant impact at this future talk I would be very great full and warmly welcome any ideas suggestions etc that might make this Open Source event go with a bang

Best regards

Keith Menadue

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.openoffice.org