Re: [LUG] webcams

Steve Marvell wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>

>>Sonix webcams, Chicony "TwinkleCams", Logitech Messengers....
>

>>Logitech - http://www.yoper.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6274
>

> I did all this and get combination of:
>
> $ cat /dev/video0
> cat: /dev/video0: Cannot allocate memory
>
> and
>
> $ cat /dev/video0
> cat: /dev/video0: Message too long
>
> I don't even know where to begin.

I assume the device /dev/video0 is appearing but what are you trying to
do with that cat command?

cat's job is to concatenate files and print on the standard output,
/dev/video0 is a video4linux or v4l2 device and you need to access it
with a sutable program, try xawtv or even mplayer, i think with mplayer
you just use "mplayer /dev/video0" , if then you get some error messages
try looking at the syslog "tail /var/log/syslog" and/or the kernel debug
ring buffer with the "dmesg" command.

Regards

Robin