Re: [LUG] webcams

On Tuesday 10 Jan 2006 09:10, Steve Marvell wrote:
> Anyone got positive experience of webcams on linux?
>
> Steve

Sonix webcams, Chicony "TwinkleCams", Logitech Messengers....
All work OK for me.

I worte a couple of very simple instructions for the Chicony and the Logitech
cams a while ago for my distro forum -

Logitech - http://www.yoper.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6274

Chicony - http://www.yoper.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5450

I run one of my Chicony cams as an IR camera. Along with my brother in law, we
worked out how to modify them ( and other people modded several other cams) -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geoff.johnson2/IR/     is the link to the modding
information.

Work well with Motion - the superb motion detection program - useful for
getting wildlife at night ( or watching for crooks I guess)

Hope this is useful.
I use either camorama or camstream to output the images - both useful
programs, but I find camorama more sensitive to framerates - and it can give
split pictures etc unless set up properly.
Also useful - if you have a TV card - are those black and white security
cameras, most of which do IR too. I have a cheap Micromark one setup for
wildlife watching. It has built in IR LEDs - light range not great, but OK
close up.

Mark