Re: Please Update your Members details was Re: [LUG] DCGLUG Regular Meetings, Venue etc

On Saturday 28 Jan 2006 13:10, Simon Waters wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
> > As a compromise, we'll look at providing some information about members
> > (badges?, posters)
>
> Neil mentioned he would do some posters (I think he volunteered anyway)
> if people updated their details, and provided a photo of themselves, for
> the next meeting. I assume for those that make it clear they will be
> attending.
>

> This link should do the trick.
>
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/members/details.php
>

> If you've forgotten your password use the "Remind Me" feature on;
>
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/
>
>  Simon
>
> PS: Most members don't/haven't attended meetings, is there something
> putting you off (we know about the distances and we can't really do much
> but move meetings around more, but even most members in Exeter have
> never attended a meeting). Answers on, or off list....
>
> PPS: Anyone ever used http://upcoming.org/ as it seems a good idea to me
> for advertising meetings, and such like.

Simon,
The only reason I don't attend is sheer distance. My car is really old and
ropey - and my health is similar!
Even Plymouth is a long way from here - 50+ miles. Not a huge distance, but I
find travelling can be difficult sometimes.
I would imagine distances are one of the biggest issues - but one which it is
hard to deal with in such a strung out peninsula as Cornwall/Devon.
From Penzance, a trip to Plymouth is a very long drive each way - not that I
know if there are members down South that far.
If I am well, and there is a meeting a little more local to me, I would attend
regularly. Bodmin, Newquay, Truro, even Camborne/Redruth area would be great.
I could probably get a meeting place organised here in Summercourt fairly
easily, but there is no internet connection in our local hall as far as I am
aware. There is a school - but the cost for that may be prohibitive - but I
can certainly check.
I was hoping to make the barbeque back in the summer - but that was the day my
family returned home from holiday - so I was the taxi service for the day.
An event like that - held over a period of time in the summer, which allows
people to attend for an afternoon or whatever is a good idea.

Mark J