Re: [LUG] LCD recommendations please

I have debian sid, working fine on a Benq 17" display tft - FP731, The cd even came with drivers for suse, which is what I was using at the time. I got this from kevin at www.farseerenterprises.com., he is a reseller, not sure what current prices are, contact details are on his website.

Paul
John Horne wrote:

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble at work getting a suitable LCD display
working with my Linux (FC4) desktop PC. I have tried a few but mostly I
think the problem seems to be that the definition/contrast between white
and grey is non-existent. Looking at my desktop (KDE) right now with
evolution creating this message there are various shades of grey, yet
LCD's seem to show this as a single, merged, grey which basically just
looks awful. A second simple test was the http://www.redhat.com web
site. Trying to get the speckled pattern on the sides of the web page to
show seems to be difficult. The last monitor I tried just seemed
completely unable to show shades of grey and was way too bright even
with the brightness set to zero.

I have been told by my manager to try and find some recommended LCD
monitors that work well with Linux. What I need is a 17" LCD for general
work desktop use. I use KDE, and run evolution, akregator, firefox, etc
as X applications. Other than that I tend to use a standard shell prompt
(konsole) for commands, and vi to write scripts/programs :-)

At present I have a CTX 17" CRT which works fine, but we are trying to
move over to LCD's where possible. I would be grateful for any LCD
recommendations, or any tips on what to watch out for with LCD's.

Thanks,

John.