Re: [LUG] LCD recommendations please

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 04:43:21PM +0000, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having a bit of trouble at work getting a suitable LCD display
> working with my Linux (FC4) desktop PC. I have tried a few but mostly
> I think the problem seems to be that the definition/contrast between
> white and grey is non-existent. Looking at my desktop (KDE) right now
> with evolution creating this message there are various shades of grey,
> yet LCD's seem to show this as a single, merged, grey which basically
> just looks awful. A second simple test was the http://www.redhat.com
> web site. Trying to get the speckled pattern on the sides of the web
> page to show seems to be difficult. The last monitor I tried just
> seemed completely unable to show shades of grey and was way too bright
> even with the brightness set to zero.

Couple of things that have worked with me
-   Use Knoppix and see what works there
-   Make sure you have the right graphics card and horizontal and
    vertical frequencies

> I have been told by my manager to try and find some recommended LCD
> monitors that work well with Linux. What I need is a 17" LCD for general
> work desktop use. I use KDE, and run evolution, akregator, firefox, etc
> as X applications. Other than that I tend to use a standard shell prompt
> (konsole) for commands, and vi to write scripts/programs :-)
>
> At present I have a CTX 17" CRT which works fine, but we are trying to
> move over to LCD's where possible. I would be grateful for any LCD
> recommendations, or any tips on what to watch out for with LCD's.

Recommendations: all I can say is that I am running debian sarge on a
17" digimate LCD. Works fine http://www.digimate.co.uk/index2.htm