Re: [LUG] mysql failed and didn;t say why

Steve Marvell wrote:
> On my debian box, I have /var/log/mysql.err which contians nothing and
> never has. Nothing is written on startup or shutdown.
>
> Any ideas how to make it log that sort of stuff?

less /var/log/daemon.log

maybe...

....as per the hint in /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Debian is strange they make mysql log to syslog, they make it secure by
default, and create their own user to start it to avoid having the
master DBA password in a plaintext file.

There is a school of thought that Debian does it right, and everyone
else is wrong ;)