Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:

Hi,

Combining Paul's post, too....

On 2006-01-15, at 11:12 , Sophie Gautier wrote:

Hi Michael, Louis,
Louis Suarez-Potts a écrit :

On 2006-01-15, at 13:13 , Paul Sutton wrote:

The Devon and cornwall Lug have similar ideas as to try and promote OSS to business and education sectors, so this would be of interest too.

Hi,
On 2006-01-15, at 07:13 , Michael Devenish wrote:
[snip]

[snip]

Okay, as long as the core elements of what OOo is and does remains intact. ie, the list of components, languages, platforms; the open- source project, etc. If you are going to do this, can you pass it by this or the marketing list (dev@marketing) so that others can benefit? What I would like is for schools throughout the world to have access to similar tools.

National Education in France and Mutualibre Consortium are working on a CD containing FLOSS software, Apple is also partner. You'll find them here for Windows, Linux and Mac, this the list for Linux for example :
http://ade.education.euro.apple.com/ll/CD_Linux/softs/index.html
This is a work in progres but the first cds have been tested last month.

Thanks for the information Sophie, nice to know Apple are supporting FLOSS software.

Thanks! I think it would be great to have an ISO of OOo for education (primary/secondary) that could be aggregated with other FOSS stuff. Size might be an issue, esp. if we include documentation, etc. But I think it would be worthwhile, esp. if Apple and other major companies get involved in distributing or otherwise promoting such a CD in Europe.

It might be that the CD becomes platform specific (win / mac / linux) although I like the combination of win32 applications and a bootable linux on the one CD. I think the developers of TheOpenCD are considering a win32-FOSS only version in the future.

The CDROM project (part of Distribution) at http:// distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/ has been making cd images (ISOs) of OOo plus documentation and other things. The latest one is quite large but I'm thinking it would be the logical place to work on an image for education purposes. I'm cc'ing Alex Fisher, the lead of the project, here. He might be interested in hosting or helping with the CD image that Michael refers to. Alex, perhaps a category in CDROM project for education? I can work with you to grant content developer privileges if needed.

There is also a blog dedicated to free software for primary school here :http://logicielslibresdegre1.joueb.com/

Merci :-)

Going slightly off-topic, could promoting free software for European schools be eligible for obtaining EU funding?

Probably. I think that Sophie Gautier would be a good person to ask on this. As they would say in California, "dude, it's worth a try." :-) The only problem that might be encountered is that OOo is mainly just a project, not a nonprofit. Your organisation may be nonprofit, which would help, I'd imagine.

Currently there is a project initiated by Mutualibre named FREE Free Ressources for Education in Europe. This project is a branch of the European Program SOCRATES MINERVA and his aim is to identify, mutualize and promote software and servers initiatives for Education and Training in France and Europe.
Project description is here :
http://www.mutualibre.org/IMG/FREE_-_Presentation_- _0.5_collectivite.pdf

Thanks again !

Super. I have not had the opportunity to read the document (am in an airport) but will do so as soon as I can. If we can work with them, even though we are not independent, that would help greatly.

Sorry for all the links beeing in French.

pas problème :-)

If you are interested by this project, you'll find contact adresses at the end of the document. I can also introduce you, as I'm working with them on the project.

Thanks, I'm quite interested, and I imagine others are, too. My interest is in promoting OOo both as something for endusers of all levels and also as a source for development. What's also important is creating a record of success so that others can look upon it in making their own decisions.

Best

Louis

Kind regards
Sophie