Re: [LUG] new IE7 feature - sounds familar

On 17/01/06, David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <random thought for the day>
> Wouldn't it be interesting if there was some central fund to pay for software
> patents for innovations in Free Software (in the US obviously), with each
> patent having a license stating that the technology concerned can be freely
> used in Free Software, but not in proprietary software. It would certainly
> stop the increasingly-common occurrence of ideas being taken from Free
> Software and used in non-free software...
> </random thought for the day>

No - this would be bad for several reasons :
1) you can't threaten pure 'IP' companies  (aka trolls) with a patent
portfolio as they have no products or revenue - only blackmail, I
mean, licensing and litigation
2) this would legitimise software patents - they aren't legitimate -
there is no such thing as a good software patent
3) there isn't enough cash available to F/LOSS to battle microsoft or
any of the big IT and telecoms companies in court, making the patent
portfolio a paper tiger without the legal funds and bought politicians
required to make them bite.
4) you can't see if proprietary technology has stolen your idea very
easily - direct copying can be found via greping binaries, but mis-use
of patents under the cover will be invisibile and naturally denied.

sorry to be an eeyore, but with software patents there are only losers
and no winners (except lawyers who don't count).

A.