Re: [LUG] Using apt through a proxy?

Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up 'my' laptop to work through a proxy... basically, I've seen that I need
to set an environment variable ("http_proxy") containing the proxy details in the
format of:
http://user:password@proxy:port
Now, I know all of the above details, and have entered them appropriately:
# http_proxy="http://user.name:mypassword@collegesproxy:8080";
# export http_proxy
# apt-get update

The output of the above shows that it is indeed trying to connect through the proxy,
but I keep getting errors back from the proxy itself regarding authentication.  I'm
thinking it might have something to do with the fact that it's a Windows ISA proxy
(no... I have no control over this and I am not likely to get them to change their
proxy system to a good one) as I know for certain that the username, password, proxy
address/name and port are spot-on.

So, to cut a long story short: has anyone else run into problems using apt and a
Windows ISA proxy... and got it sorted?

Cheers.
Grant.

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://proxy.server.here:8080/";;;