Re: [LUG] Apache2 Webmin module?

Grant Sewell wrote:

Debian Stable.  I've never actually used the Webmin module for Apache
1.x, but I have Webmin installed and I can't (at the moment) use the
Apache module to configure/break Apache2... so naturally I want to!
:D

Why doesn't thunderbirds reply like your long lines in email I wonder...

Anyway I...

apt-get install apache2 webmin webmin-apache webmin-core

/etc/init.d/webmin start

Went into the Apache module config and told it where Debian puts various files.

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled for virtual servers (should be sites-available really, ala a2ensite etc).
/etc/apache2 for server root.
Add missing "2" to the "/etc/init.d/apache start|stop"
And add a missing 2 to the httpd.conf path...

Then it refused to started because of the "Listen 127.0.0.1 80" line in ports.conf (removed manually) <doh>.

But it does seem to add virtual servers as I'd expect. However unless you are confident administering Apache2 this is likely to leave people very stumped as to what happened when they changes something and it doesn't work. If you know how Apache2 works this tool doesn't seem to save you any effort, but requires you to master a rather poorly laid out interface. (I tried putting the virtual server name I wanted in a couple of places an IP address should have gone).