Re: [LUG] Kernel version numbering...

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:11:12 +0000
Ben Goodger <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/01/06, paul sutton <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Yes and if they upgrade to XP then at some point MS will stop supporting
> > that,  and drop users in it again,  now if even if we give them an old
> > copy of Linux using kernel 2.4, the community will still support them,
> > even when kernel 2.8 and kernel 3.0 is released, the community value
> > users,
>

> Actually 2.6 is the final version until it gets stupid, ie 2.6.32a
> There was a feature in LXF recently about why 2.6 is the final version
> number until further notice.

Indeed, the next full-scale change in versioning of the Linux kernel will be 2.7 or
3.0.  The "X.X.odd = development; X.X.even = stable" idea no longer stands.  It's
something like "if it's got 3 numbers (2.6.xx) then it's a stable release, if it's
got 4 (2.6.xx.yy) then it's an unstable release".

Grant.