Re: [LUG] linux in schools

Yeah, seems like a good project. I could possibly see various forms of
Linux, maybe Edubuntu as an example, as a viable option for networks
in Primary Schools because of the lesser funding and lesser reliance
of ICT in the curriculum. Plus the software which is bundled with the
distribution should be more than adequate for the needs of Teacher and
Pupil.

I don't see Linux as such a good option in High school now though. The
vast majority of high school have had their ICT infrastucture in place
for many many years now, with a vast number of those networks being
based on Research Machines (RM) hardware.  Unless the ICT department
is in dire straights in terms of funding and cannot afford to continue
to run Microsoft-based products, the amount of time and effort going
into setting up, configuring and securing the servers, as well as
setting up the workstations to be "secure", wouldn't be worth the time
and effort in the eyes of many School ICT Administrators. People are
naturally lazy, so if it ain't broke, they won't want to fix it.

So yes, Linux, namely the educational distributions such as Edubuntu
and Puppy, could be effectively deployed in a Primary School
environment where the infrastructure is small and initial downtime is
not much of an issue. High School networks, on the other hand, are too
far developed to make an overnight switch viable.

On 03/01/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
> > I thought Rob and Tom may be intersted in this,   I posted here as I
> > could not find the log in page on the digital divide site,
> >
> > http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/12/19/1859258&from=rss
> >
> > Paul
>
> Thats quite interesting.  Looks to me like they've taken Puppy Linux,
> put on a basic Window manager that doesn't require much memory/CPU power
> and added a couple of applications on.
>
> I'm guessing the £199 they charge is for support?
>
> Good to be back btw, the whole family has been suffering from stomach
> bugs all over christmas, not much fun :-(
>
> Rob
>

> --

Michael Dodd