Re: [LUG] css and firefox

On 01/01/06, Ben Goodger <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I serve XHTML as whatever my Apache installation is configured to send .php
> files as, but it works just fine as it has appropriate doctypes etc.
> Furthermore, there is no need for browsers to "start" to support it
> properly: it's coming up to five years old, and Firefox and IE6 support it
> flawlessly, as far as I can tell from my site.

Unless you're serving it as application/html+xml (which IE6 doesn't
support) you're serving it as text/html - and if you do serve it like
that, Firefox treats it as tag soup, instead of XML, so you're not
really getting any benefit.

You can serve HTML 4.01, with a doctype and browsers will treat it in
standard compliant mode. I use a lot of XHTML on my sites, but it
doesn't offer any benefit over HTML 4.01.

--
Matt Lee
CNUK Media Foundation - http://cnuk.org/