[LUG] Fwd: BBC Information [T20051227005TS010Z1157871]

I just recieved a response from the BBC about an email
I sent them suggesting that the Real Audio Codec (as a
closed format) was unsuitable for public service
broadcasting - in particular, for webcasting of the
various BBC radio stations.

Although the response wasn't everything I could have
hoped, I was nevertheless pleasantly surprised. The
BBC seem to be much better informed than I was
expecting and the reply reveals a good understanding
of the issues. I'm convinced they are genuine in their
desire to consider these matters in future development
of their services.

I sent the message from an OpenBSD system but did not
state this and was very surprised that they picked up
it (presumably from the email headers) - quite savvy
really.

The only major area of concern I have is the passage
where he mentions Windows Media Player as an
alternative to Real Player (yuck).

Admittedly it doesn't change the situation now but
overall it seems very positive. Anyway, I thought some
people on this list might be interested and include
the reply below.

Trewornan

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/digitalradio/index.shtml?digitalradio).