[LUG] lilo, ununique volume IDs and an unrelated off-topic query about wifi

recently, I don't know why, I have been getting a lilo error. First on boot a black screen with LIL across the top for 40 secs, then ERROR: DUPLICATE VOLUME ID. The bot process then takes a while to start and the visible part (Mandriva 2006 official) takes an age checking file systems. Also the whole system seems slower, apps taking more power to use, stuttering mouse movements when two or more memory intensive things running. All new.

I have checked. The advice is to run lilo -T vol-id. This produces

BIOS Volume ID

0x80 0D179473
0x81 0D179473 *

Volume IDs are NOT unique.
'*' marks a volume ID which is duplicated. Duplicated IDs must be
resolved before installing a new boot loader. The volume ID may
be cleared using the '-z' and '-M' switches.

Running lilo -z -M /dev/hdb
or even the same for hda makes no difference. The advice says then run

lilo -v

to re-install lilo. This I have done and this results in no change.

Do these IDs relate only to hard disks? How can I tell which drive owns which ID? I've tried the command against the CD drive, the DVD drive and the external USB DVD burner, but this produces a message about not being able to access them, (which, as they're not mounted, is fair enough).

The PCs response really does seem more slug-like than like what it used to. I've checked for new/unnecessary processes and there don't seem to be any. Memory usage looks OK, except that the physical memory cache appears never to go down. Starts at nothing and then as I do things, like open a browser, check the mail etc, it just increases in the percentage filled. However as I've never checked it like this before I don't actually know how it was acting previously. My guess would be that it's supposed to release space back when processes finish and the fact that it ain't might just relate to things becoming increasingly sluged as time goes by.

The setup of my PC is;

Mandriva 2006
2 hard drives
   hda
      hda1 = /, (the boot stuff), ext3, 5.8 GB
      hda5 = swap, 1 GB
      hda6 = /home, ext3, 49 GB
   hdb
hdb1 = /d2, ext3, 55 GB (this is used for storing films, music etc and often contains large files)

If anyone has any ideas I would be unimaginably grateful to hear them as this is really driving me nuts!!

My other problem isn't really a linux problem and I apologize in advance for its off-topicness. Actually it's a query rather than a problem, but off-topic whatever it. I have broadband and a lan. This comes via a Speedtouch 530 router and is distributed around the house via Devolo dLan plugs that use electric mains circuit - which all works very well.

Anyhow Santa Claus has arranged for me to be given, (it arrives in the post tomorrow so I'll be sleepless with excitement tonight), a Palmone "Lifedrive". This is a fancy PDA with 4 GB hard drive. This gadget is wifi'd for internet browsing. So the first part of my query is; is there any gizmo, preferably a really cheap gizmo, out there that I can use in conjunction with my router to wifi my broadband connection?

The second part is; does anyone know of any public access wifi points in the Exeter or/and Tiverton areas? Failing that do you have wifi'd neighbors who haven't put any security on their network?

(If you're into gadgetry, have wifi and live close to Tiverton I could let you play with my fab new gizmo in exchange for being able to bring it around and test it!?)

Thanks
   Simon

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx