Re: [LUG] suse10 nvidia driver

Mike Tidball wrote:
Hi,
I've just done a clean install of suse10,the one from Linux magazine not the oss version. I have installed all the development tools,all of KDE all the sources and done a full update online. I then tried to get YOU to update the nvidia bit and as usual for me no joy. I then downloaded the last three drivers from nvidia,booted into level 3 ran sh Nvidia.......and got the following which I've never had before.

no preconpiled kernal interface was found,would you like the installer to download one from nvidia. I clicked OK.

none were found installer will need to compile one.    I clicked OK

gcc-version-check failed
./usr/src/nv/conftest.sh:  line 19 cc: command not found
make sure libc development package is installed and cc is a valid compiler name.

I'm sure all the packages I need are installed. I have tried also sax2 -m 0=nvidia to see if the driver YOU put in would work but nothing.
I have installed these drivers several times but never come across this.

Any ideas anyone?
How do I check if cc is a valid compiler name?
I have tried the last 3 drivers from nvidia and get the same problem with each of them.

Mike Tidball

Well, it looks to me like you haven't installed the development packages the nvidia installer needs. As far as I know, it needs the kernel sources, and a working development environment (gcc, etc.). It's complaining because "cc" isn't available. On SuSE, cc just points to gcc.

--

140cf42384f90b8c349b67457b907115

Public PGP key at http://www.jameshallam.info/files/publicpgpkey.txt