Re: [LUG] Debian package list comparison?

Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Does anyone know of a tool that allows you to see from where a Debian
> package was installed?  Or to compare what is currently installed with
> what's listed on the Debian package repositories (in your sources.list
> file)?  The reason I ask is that some while ago I added a bunch of
> "extra" Debian repositories to my sources.list file, and promptly
> installed some packages.  I have since removed said entries from my
> sources.list file (well, commented them out) and I would now like to
> generate a list of packages that I have on my system that came from
> these "extra" repositories, so that I can see about removing them.

If you have a gui environment installed on the debian box then aptitude
(the debian gui apt-get frontend) has a view which shows orphaned/obsolete
or locally installed packages, and deborphan is a cli app that finds orphaned
libraries.

These should do what you need, IIRC.

--
James                                   jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

It's not my eyesight getting worse, its my mind getting weirder - MEow in afda