[LUG] Suse 10 boot

I am having a major post install problem with Suse refusing to boot. I have tried
lilo & grub on hdb master boot sector & hdb1 boot sector of root partition (which is
where I usually install the boot loader when I have used Suse or Mandrake in the
past. It just hangs . I have ide disks but on 1 failed boot,  messages about not
Ray