Re: [LUG] Microsoft in Devon or Cornwall?

Tom Brough wrote:

> paul sutton wrote:
>
>> Incedently why does MS need to ask for funding, they have more money
>> than anyone else.
>>
> It doesn't need to ask for funding .... it wants the RDA to invest
> money in education to be spent explicitly on Microsoft products.  (Its
> the you by X units of MS {add product flavour here} and we will give
> you Y discount on it. When its time for upgrades you can bet MS wont
> be so forthcoming with a "generous" discount.

Reminds me of Software Assurance.  I think you'll find some of the
bigger IT suppliers sales departments might push Microsoft products &
licences due to the lucrative commissions that they get.  I was even
e-mailed my Microsoft offering money back on every MS licence I sold to
a customer.

> You dont think Microsoft's going to invest its own money, when it can
> use the British tax / rate payers money instead ;-)
>
> If the RSA have any sense they will accept the invest in education
> argument BUT THEN put out a tender document. Of course Microsoft will
> probably do another Munich and put in a tender that couldnt possibly
> be profitable for MS in the short term in the knowledge that they
> would gain considerably with "lock in" in the future.
> Of course Munich selected its tender on technical grounds rather than
> hard cash bottom line.
>
> Its up to us to make sure that the RSA follows similar critera if such
> a project is planned.
>
> It would probably be better if we formed a Not For Profits group, and
> started organising a proper campaign, showing how the voluntary sector
> (and regional commercial interests (Rob?)) could improve Rural
> development here in the D&C.

I think a not for profits group would tie in nicely.  It might be worth
contacting Broadband for Devon too.  It seems businesses can get funding
from the EU for IT equipment, services, broadband connections etc.  I
haven't got much information from quickly looking at their web site.

Maybe such a not for profit group could advise businesses about Open
Source and maybe recommend a few IT suppliers in the area who specalise
with Open Source?

I actually signed up for the Microsoft Partner website for my business.
It lists my business as a supplier of IT services (Microsoft services),
but I figured once a company made contact, I could advise them about
Linux & Open Source, including the benefits (lower cost, not tied into
unreasonable EULA's etc) and let them make the choice of either costly
Microsoft solutions, or cheaper and more flexible Open Source solutions.

Rob