Re: Backing GNU to the hilt (was Re: [LUG] Waiting for keyboard input in a shell script)

Gentlemen Please,

DO NOT USE MP3!!! For £$%& sake, Matt. You are deliberately compromising your free software browser with proprietary crap.

This forum is public and there are minors subscribed to it. Please can we tone it down a bit. I value free software, but I also value my freedom of choice, we can't expect everyone to follow or understand all our principles all at once. I have been using free software for some years now and I'm sure some of you would be shocked at the non free things that I still do. (Like use a set top box with proprietary software embedded). So please by all means promote free software, discuss free software, but don't start WW III on this forum and keep it clean (code and comment ;-) ).

By all means point out the error of our ways, but don't expect us to give up all our bad habits immediately.

Example

As a regular subscriber to the BBC goDigital site where the weekly wroldservice programme is available as a pod cast in MP3 format I yet again infringe Neils perfect vision, but on the other hand much of the news is to do with developing word IT issues. The information is valuable to me and I would dearly love the BBC to issue the pod cast in ogg format I can't see them moving that way quickly. If the BBC where to move to ogg, I think they would loose subscribers and that would be a shame because the message is equally valid in MP3 or OGG. So please don't ask me to forgo my news feed on a matter of principal.

Thank you.

Tom.

PS  for the record : I think you are both right in your own ways.