Re: Backing GNU to the hilt (was Re: [LUG] Waiting for keyboard input in a shell script)

On Sunday 27 November 2005 4:37 pm, Tom Brough wrote:
> Gentlemen Please,
>
> >DO NOT USE MP3!!! For .. sake, Matt. You are deliberately compromising
> > your free software browser with proprietary rubbish.
>
> This forum is public and there are minors subscribed to it. Please can
> we tone it down a bit.

Yes, sorry.

(Just had a similar tone message about Scheme on a separate list - it happens
occasionally.)

> I value free software, but I also value my
> freedom of choice, we can't expect everyone to follow or understand all
> our principles all at once.

Just as long as we don't hide from them.

> I have been using free software for some
> years now and I'm sure some of you would be shocked at the non free
> things that I still do. (Like use a set top box with proprietary
> software embedded).

Depends if there is a free software alternative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/opensource/

> If the BBC where to
> move to ogg, I think they would loose subscribers

Not necessarily, what we need is the option to use ogg. There's no guarantee
that podcasting isn't just another fad. If a well supported format takes the
place of mp3, the BBC will switch. They are working on other open source
media formats for video etc. Our support for ogg and other free software
formats (which are preferable to just 'open source' formats) is important in
deciding how new formats are designed.

> and that would be a
> shame because the message is equally valid in MP3 or OGG. So please
> don't ask me to forgo my news feed on a matter of principal.

My issue was with personal audio files - we should not encourage MP3 because
it is still patented, a free alternative exists and all free software that
copes with mp3 can also cope with ogg. Where we have the means to use ogg, it
is a matter of principle that we do so.

--

Neil Williams