Re: [LUG] Waiting for keyboard input in a shell script

Adrian Midgley <amidgley2@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 15:33 +0000, Matt Lee wrote:
>> Well, I was VB developer for about 7 years, writing desktop apps, all
>> day, every day.. and while VB has its flaws, it's not bad for mocking
>> up GUI apps, quickly.
>
> Gambas seems promising.
>
> There is a learning step from VB but it is less than some I think.
>
> Tcl/Tk is quite hard.

I don't recall it being that bad, but then it is quite some time since
I wrote anything in tcl/tk.

> There are several windowing environments for Python, but I find them
> hard as well.

Tkinter is, imo, one of the best of the python gui libs, and is far
more universal than any of the other windowing systems for python,
but is somewhet uglier than wxWindows (which adds some useful
capabilities). Once you get your head around the fact that pretty
much anything in python is an object you are pretty much set up.

The only drawbacks are that to get useful things like status bars
working you need to get your head around mulitple threads, IIRC,
and the fact that python apps tend to be prey to slow memory leaks
if you confuse the garbagecollector (only a real issue if you
are handling lots of data though).

> No doubt there are  set of them for Perl also.

Yep, there are plenty, the main ones being related to Tk.
Unfortunately, they tend to be crufty, and ,despite the fact that Perl
is usually my language of choice for most things, I will always
choose python over perl if I have to write a gui app.

--
James                                   jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

"Oh, that's cute.  A zombie with a gas attack."  (Mr. Garibaldi, B5 "Knives")