Re: [LUG] Waiting for keyboard input in a shell script

On Saturday 26 November 2005 3:44 pm, Ben Goodger wrote:
> Well, I was VB developer for about 7 years, writing desktop apps, all
>
> > day, every day.. and while VB has its flaws, it's not bad for mocking
> > up GUI apps, quickly.

?? What was Simon saying about environment? Don't you remember DLL HELL from
the vb runtime changes? If you are going to use a RAD tool, at least make
sure it does NOT require it's own runtime library. I wrote stuff using that
system - a 32kb program required the installation of a 4,200kb runtime dll. I
was only using three calls from that dll!

Small is beautiful - concentrate not on hacking a GUI application quickly but
on creating an application that people can continue using into the future.
Strip out the redundant dependencies and put your code on a diet!

> Also try Glade, which is a VB-like program which does the Gtk design for
> you; it even comes with templates for GNOME apps and similar.
>

> Ben Goodger

Then try actually using those templates in a real program.

1. You can't continue to edit in Glade if you tweak the XML manually.
2. The Glade code is rough and awkward.
3. When you actually look at source code for GUI projects of any size,
the .glade files are relegated to the status of an add-on and all the
important code happens in the C code that has completely re-written anything
created by Glade. Sorry, Ben, Glade is no VB. It's not even Visual C - but
then I'd say that was a good thing!!

:-)

--

Neil Williams