[LUG] A tail of two Bridges

I have two wireless network cards. One is installed in machine A and the second in Machine B. They are set to operated in Ad-hoc mode. Ping B from A and everything is ok, ping A from B and everything is ok, so far so good.

I also have two standard "wired" network cards one in A and one in B.

Now I use brctl to create a bridge on machine A between the two interfaces.
And similarly on machine B.

No problems so far.

Use dhclient to set the bridges to have ip addresses, takes time but gets there. So I know that if I have a dhcp server one end of the network it can service the other end of the network via the two wireless cards ...... just what I wanted.

Now I ping machine A from machine B and it pings but I get duplicate packet messages (6 in all) for each ping. Similarly ping machine B from A and it pings but with 6 duplicate packes for each ping. Doh !!!

Similarly any machine on Machines A's side of the network pinging any machine on network B's get the same problem (and visa versa).

I am thus getting 1/6th of normal throughput which explains why dhcp negotiation took so long.

My thoughts are that this is some sort of timing issue, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Anyone got any suggestion why this is happening ? and / or how I can solve this ?

I would really like to solve this one because the network cards cost £20 each while a wireless bridge would cost approx twice this. I would also like to get away from setting up some more complex routing and subnetting in order to work around this problem.

Tom.