[LUG] X and export DISPLAY

Hi,
Well after following a tutorial in LXF on building your own distro based on knoppix I decided that is was just as easy to chroot off my normal distro (SUSE) than from a knoppix disk. I wanted to run kcontrol from within the chrooted environment i did export DISPLAY=localhost:0 and for my troubles got lots of errors

Creating link /root/.kde/socket-PISCES.
Created link from "/root/.kde/socket-PISCES" to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
/usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth:  creating new authority file /root/.ICEauthority
Creating link /root/.kde/tmp-PISCES.
Created link from "/root/.kde/tmp-PISCES" to "/tmp/kde-root"
kded: cannot connect to X server localhost:0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-10798' to 'kded'
kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.
kcontrol: cannot connect to X server localhost:0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-10788' to 'kcontrol'
ERROR: Communication problem with kcontrol, it probably crashed.

I decided to stop and just get on with apt-get and while trying to edit my sources.list I found that I got a more helpful error from emacs

Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
connections from your machine.

What can I do? I'v tried (out of chroot) echo $DISPLAY and I get

:0.0

So I tried that as well but get the same errors.
Any help please.

Thanks
--
Tom (the younger)