[LUG] Postgres authentication problem

I'm trying to set up Postgres to allow passwordless login to anyone
logged into the server via ssh.

If I have in pg_hba.conf:

local   all         all                               md5
local   all         all                               ident sameuser

 - access from PHP etc. works (with a password) but prompts for a
password to shell users (no good for automated backups).

If I reverse the lines, so that "ident sameuser" comes first, login from
the shell is passwordless, but PHP can't read the database:
'Ident authentication failed for user "ben"'.

How do I go about making it fall back to the md5 method if the ident
method fails?  I'm assuming I've missed something really obvious, but I
didn't find out anything useful from Google.

    Ben

--
Termisoc Tech Officer: <http://termisoc.org/>
My Homepage: <http://benalee.co.uk/>