Re: [LUG] Wireless LAN (OT?)

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:27:17 +0000
Robin Cornelius wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
>

> > Hi Robin,
> >
> > When you say "WAN interface", is this a multi-purpose interface that will detect
> > (or is configurable for) multiple serial encoding types, or is this an Ethernet
> > port that has been labelled as "WAN"?
> >

> It is basicly an ethernet port but it appears to support PPPoE and can
> get its IP address via dhcp and can connect on demand. I presume this
> was intended to go with an ISDN connection that produces an ethernet
> socket? ISDN was PPPoE wasn't it?.
>
> Robin

Pure ISDN isn't PPPoE.  It certainly uses PPP, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't use
Ethernet.. to the best of my knowledge... certainly you don't need to tell Cisco kit
anything about Ethernet to get ISDN BRI or PRI working, but you do need to configure
PPP.  I suspected the "WAN" port might simply be an Ethernet port.  It isn't
surprising that it supports "PPPoE" for this interface since the PPP side of it is
purely software driven.  If you like, using PPP is just another layer between the
link layer (Ethernet) and the network layer (IP/IPX/AT), and as such is implimented
in software only.

Grant.