Re: [LUG] Wireless LAN (OT?)

Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
> On Saturday 05 Nov 2005 15:58, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> Thanks Grant
>
> Thanks, I think I can see where I am going now.  The lady on the phone was
> however quite adamant!
>
> Very simply I see my "black box " as being a wireless hub daisy chained with
> CAT5 onto my ADSL Network Router thing.  Which is where your links lead me.

Jumping a bit late in the conversation here and you are probably sorted
now but my wireless at home is just like this. My wireless AP is actualy
a router (but with a WAN interface not an adsl interface). I ignore the
WAN and just use the wireless part and the 4 ethernet ports as a hub.
Other routers will behave the same. I have a netgear wireless router at
work and it will function without the adsl connected, the only caveat is
that if it is acting as a DHCP server and it is not the gateway router
it will (probably) not be able to tell the dhcp clients about the DNS
servers. Basicly the router that is the gateway probably should be the
DHCP server as well (unless you have a dedicated dhcp server etc...)

Robin