Re: [LUG] Xandro 3.0 OCE - dead fstab

Julian Hall wrote:

> Any way to resurrect it?  Would there be a backup copy held by Linux
> anywhere or do I have to reinstall it all just to get the one
> (admittedly vital) file back?

First, what happened to the file?

Since it should be read only to ordinary users, it would suggest
filesystem corruption, or a hardware fault (failing disk?). How do you
know it is just the one file?

I'd suggest running fsck, against the filesystem, and if the filesystem
has options to force a proper check rather than say a log replay
(ReiserFS distinguishes these two types of check for example) use those.

As regards remaking fstab, you can probably discover some of the details
from /etc/fstab, or /proc/mounts, or plagarising a similar install, but
reinstalling sounds a good bet if you don't have backups, since the
installers often add entries for hot mounting devices and such like
which will have been lost.

 Simon