Re: [LUG] Xandro 3.0 OCE - dead fstab

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 2:21 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
> Yesterday Xandros locked up while I was in Thunderbird and refused to
> let me do anything except reboot.

? v.strange.

> /home directory, which isn't the proper one.  Then I looked at the
> fstab.. or tried to.  Depnding on whether I use VIM or Kate it's either
> garbage (VIM) or blank (Kate).

Have you checked the drive? Normally you get a prompt to check the filesystem
if it crashed last time - you did allow that to complete? Sometimes it asks
you to run it twice too.

It sounds like the filesystem is corrupt. Just allowing it to be checked could
resurrect the file (or put in /lost+found/ )

> Any way to resurrect it?

Probably not but you don't need to reinstall, what you do need is to know
which filesystem is on which partition.

> anywhere or do I have to reinstall it all just to get the one
> (admittedly vital) file back?

A rescue disc would be more useful than a complete reinstall. Xandros probably
has a rescue disc based on Debian CD1.

--

Neil Williams