[LUG] OT: Help!

Hi folks,

This is a little bit off topic, but I'm wondering if someone might be able to help.

I've recently installed Gentoo 2005.1 AMD64 on my Athlon 64, this wasn't a problem, I slowly got it working from a Stage 1 install.

The problem now, is my PC will not turn on!

I think its hardware rather than software related, so I'm not blaming Gentoo.

I think it happened over night, I left the machine downloading and compiling some packages. This morning I got up and found the PC was in standby mode. I didn't think much of it, I just assumed the power settings needed a bit of a tweak.

When I got home from work this evening, I tried turning the PC on... Nothing.

Okay, I thought... maybe it just needs disconnecting from the mains and reconnecting.... nope, didn't work. Next I tried swapping power cables out (thought it might be a blown fuse)... nothing.

Now my PC has a Q-Tec 350W power supply. I've read mixed reviews about it in the past, my last Q-Tec PSU lasted about a year before the fans went on it. I swapped the power supply with the one out of my girlfriend's PC - her power supply is a generic 350W P4 compatible PSU with the extra 4-pin ATX style connector.

This still didn't work.  Now I'm a bit stuck for ideas.

I'm guessing it might be the CPU or motherboard? When I tried the second PSU, the fan span round about halfway before stopping, I didn't get any activity on the hard disk etc.

The problem lies with what spare bits I have. I have some other DDR memory which I can try (and I can test my existing memory in my girlfriend's PC). I'm planning on trying that when the kids are in bed. Apart from that, I have no means of testing the CPU (Socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+), or the motherboard (MSI Socket 754 board with an early VIA K8T800 chipset I think).

I was wondering if there is anyone in the Torquay or Paignton area who might be able to just give the CPU & motherboard a quick test for me?

I'm reluctant to go out and buy a brand new A64 3000+ and motherboard (although it is tempting to upgrade to Socket 939 :-D), it's a bit expensive for me to go and do that at the moment.... I have my girlfriend moaning at me for a new fridge and cooker, as far as she's concerned, my PC is wayyyyy down on the priority list.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful, and they're a couple of beers in it for anyone who can offer a hand :-D

Rob