Re: [LUG] Open source licensing etc..

On Monday 03 October 2005 12:48, Grant Sewell wrote:

> Just being pedantic... doesn't the GPL say that you can make any
> modifications you like what so ever, and only *have* to provide the code to
> these modifications if you plan on making your modified version *public*?
> So, in effect, I could take any GPL'd code and modify it to my heart's
> content for my own non-public use, and not have to provide the code to my
> changes.  Or am I thinking of another license?

Yes, that's correct. The original question was about a company taking the
source code, so I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the company concerned
would be distributing it.

There is of course no way to force someone to contribute their changes unless
they distribute them in some way.

Regards,
David.

--