Re: [LUG] Open source licensing etc..

On Monday 03 October 2005 11:46, jody salt wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to release one of my scripts as open source.

<snip>

> I want to make sure its liscenced properly - i.e. I
> don't want other companies adapting it without
> contributing.
>
> Anyone done it before?
>
> Any tips?

I suspect the General Public License would be suitable for what you want:
basically it allows anyone to use the code for any purpose, but if they make
any modification they must publish the source code (so you can incorporate
their changes if you so wish).

I won't suggest you read the full GPL as it's a bit heavy-going - the
Wikipedia article should give you the key points:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL

The GPL contains instructions telling you what you need to do to apply it to
your software:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.html#SEC4

Basically you just need to put a copyright tag and license notice at the top
of each source file. Here's an example from one of my GPL'd projects, which
is in PHP:
http://tinyurl.com/93k86

There are of course other licenses, which you may need to look at if you feel
the GPL isn't suitable.

I know there are quite a few people on the list who have published software
under a Free/Open Source license, so just ask if you have any more queries.

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson