Re: [LUG] Zebra TPL2284 label/barcode printer on SuSE 9.3: USB or ppd not understood sufficiently

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 13:11 +0100, Martin Chojnowski wrote:

> You should be able to send it command when it's connected to RS port without
> any drivers.

Well yes, I should ....

I can send text and it appears to go somewhere, but nothing eventuates
at the printer.

I've looked at the options on the printer -
   96 which I take to be 9600 N 8 1

and done setserial baud_rate 9600 with no alteration.

/var/messages  gives remarks about FIFO being stuck and about parport.o

Possibly I should be USB hotplu blacklisting it, so it doesn't get a
(wrong) driver attached to it automatically?

>  I did send stuff using python.

It would be kind to share that code...
I found and fiddled with some Perl on teh Web, no joy.

>  First thing I had to do was to store
> labels templates using win98 (2000 or XP didn't work as expected) and then was
> able to select label and put data on it.

The demo label generator that comes with it works, but produces very
complicated perhaps obscured files that are going to be hard to
understnad and adapt.  My impression is that sending plain ASCII
commands and text will run it, producing barcodes from the hardware if I
want it to.

But first, I need the magic to make it talk.