[LUG] Maildirs vs mbox files

Hi folks,

I've managed to get Debian 3.1 working as a mail server with Fetchmail, Procmail and Dovecot.

At the moment, procmail transfers mail to mbox files in each users home directory under $HOME/.mail

So far so good, it appears to be working fine. I was wondering though, what would be better to use... mbox files (which as far as I can tell put every mail item bunched together in one file per folder), or into maildir directories (which from the looks of things on my old SME server, creates shed loads of files - 1 for each message).

Just was thinking along the lines of possible hard disk corruption, backup etc.

Any suggestions?

Rob