Re: [LUG] Maildirs vs mbox files

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:17:54 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've managed to get Debian 3.1 working as a mail server with Fetchmail,
> Procmail and Dovecot.
>
> At the moment, procmail transfers mail to mbox files in each users home
> directory under $HOME/.mail
>
> So far so good, it appears to be working fine.  I was wondering though,
> what would be better to use... mbox files (which as far as I can tell
> put every mail item bunched together in one file per folder), or into
> maildir directories (which from the looks of things on my old SME
> server, creates shed loads of files - 1 for each message).
>
> Just was thinking along the lines of possible hard disk corruption,
> backup etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Rob

I prefer maildir to mbox, simply because it's what I'm used to.

As far as corruption goes, I would have thought that a single mbox file that's
accessed for read and read/write actions over and over again would be more prone to
corruption than a whole bunch of files in a maildir would be.  Also, I would have
thought that you'd be more likely to lose a lot of mail during a filesystem recovery
if it's all stored in a single file.

As for backups... no idea which would prove best.  I guess an mbox file would
compress better than lots of discreet files, but I wouldn't have thought there'd be
too much in it.

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.