Re: [LUG] KMail - Plain text

On Sunday 21 Aug 2005 12:13, Neil Williams wrote:

> ? You mean the preview window?

I mean I get a split preview window, as one also gets with HTML mail.

> > and having to
> > either select the 7  bit plain text version,
>
> I think your preview window is too small !

It's as big as you can get on a 17" display.

> To reduce that message to just two lines, you could install gpg, check the
> box in KMail and let gpg retrieve keys automatically. Then it would be a
> two line yellow notice instead of the longer purple-ish one.

Mine's yellow btw but I don't want any coloured lines.  Just a plain text
message

> Of course, I would say that - I'd like everyone to only ever use signed
> email!

Yup, I thought you would too :)

>You'd have to check the email headers quite carefully to find
> the change. How often does anyone actually do that?

I do frequently, especially when senders, not neccessarily on this list, bleat
about Windows only to see that they are using OE, Thunderbird for Windows
etc.

> All I have to do is create a new Identity in KMail with your name and email
> address details and send to the list as that identity. Simple.
> Now try and send email pretending to be me - the lack of a signature gives
> the game away. But you don't sign, so how can I be sure that it really IS
> you sending your email? It could be Simon, or Robin or Lord Lucan even Bill
> Gates!

I have nothing against the use of signed mail, but to the non-user it is
somewhat intrusive.

> Think of the problems of accountability, libel and identification. Think of
> the misunderstandings, the confusion, the sheer hassle of trying to prove
> to someone that it wasn't actually you who sent them an email from your
> address calling their parentage into question, etc. etc.

Have seen this on other lists, but of course one doesn't expect that sort of
thing on the DCGLUG ;)

> How do I know the message came from you?

You don't (for absolute certainty), but neither do I, nor most of the other
recipients of your e-mails who dont use pgp.

Didn't mean to start a flame (er well a flicker) with this thread - but I did
get that certain feeling it could :)

--
W.Devon