Re: [LUG] Debian Mail server setup

Simon Waters wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:
I managed to get fetchmail to download my mail, but I couldn't connect
to the server from Thunderbird using imap.

- Download mail from various pop3/imap mail accounts for each user on
the server

Argh - this is the worst possible start to running your own email server
IMHO. If you go to the trouble of running an email server, most of the
benefit is down to getting email done right in my opinion, where as this
way you pick up everyone elses failings.

Why bother with an email server, you can simply code up all these
accounts in the email client.

I like to be able to read my e-mails when away from home, its come in so handy in the past when I've been away for a week or so and waiting for that major important e-mail, saves the hassle of checking upteen mail accounts, some of which I've found were blocked at some of the places I've been contracting at.

Consider nicking a scenario that matches your needs from
http://wiki.dovecot.org/ if you like dovecot.

Simon
I'll take a look at that in the morning.

Rob