Re: [LUG] Arghgh! Apt-get issues again!

> I've currently got a problem with my favourite IDE which has exposed a bug
> in the v.latest version of libpango - the internationalised text library -
> to such an extent that I cannot use the program to edit any files - rather
> a problem for an IDE! I've checked the bugs, added some content to the bug
> that already existed and I'm waiting for the updated libpango to make it's
> way out of experimental and into unstable.

This also highlights a MAJOR strength of open source and free software - I've
switched almost seamlessly to another IDE and work continues. I still prefer
the other and I will go back to it as soon as pango is fixed, but there is
ALWAYS an alternative and a workaround. It may be inconvenient for a while,
it may be not quite what you really want, but you can carry on.

In addition, the *experience* of using another program can only help your
understanding and my case, adds content to the project because I can now
document how to use the other, less favourable, IDE with my code when I would
not have otherwise done so.

(n.b. The differences between each IDE are not dependent on the code itself
but on the integration with CVS, automake and Doxygen that make an IDE worth
using. After all, if you only need an editor, there are far too many options
already. What I need is an IDE and it's the differences in how that IDE is
implemented that lead to changes in how the IDE project is created and
handled.)

> There's also a bug in KMail which is giving me a seg. fault unless it is
> run inside Kontact.

Again, that's the same client, it just consumes more resources because it's
running inside the PIM instead of standalone.

--

Neil Williams