Re: [LUG] nVidia card Drivers

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:55:57 +0100
Thomas Arrow wrote:

> Hi,
> Right I managed to install the drivers by changing to INIT 3 I ran the
> install script. Then I quickly left the room. When I returned about a
> minute later it had finished and just given me another prompt. I went
> back into INIT 5 then tryed to run planet penguin racer as a test.
> Nothing happened. I rebooted the computer then tryed again this time at
> the terminal and got these errors.
>
> [Tom@localhost ~]$ ppracer
> PPRacer 0.3.1 --  http://racer.planetpenguin.de
> (c) 2004-2005 The PPRacer team
> (c) 1999-2001 Jasmin F. Patry<jfpatry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> PPRacer comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
> and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
> See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for details.
>
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> *** ppracer error: Couldn't initialize video: Couldn't find matching GLX
> visual (Success)
> Segmentation fault
>
> I then tryed with bzflag and got these errors.
>
> [Tom@localhost ~]$ bzflag
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Could not set Video Mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual.
> Error creating window - Exiting
>
> Any help please as I dont have a clue what to do.

As I mentioned earlier, running the nVidia installer installs the accelerated
drivers but doesn't edit your X config file so you won't be using them just yet!  In
the README file it details what you need to do, but a quick breakdown:

Change to console.
Log in as root (or as a user and "su" to root).
Quit X as you did before (init 3).
Edit your X config file by hand.  This will probably be /etc/X11/xorg.conf although
it may be /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
Look for the "Modules" section.  Add the following line (if it doesn't already
exist):
        Load    "glx"
If there is a similar line refering to DRI, comment it out (add a # to be beginning
of the line).
Now go and find the "device" section that relates to your graphics card.  It should
have the following line:
        Driver          "nv"
change that to:
        Driver          "nvidia"
Save your config file.
Restart X (init 5).

There are *plenty* of other options available to you, such as screen cloning for
multiheaded nVidia cards, size of any hardware cursor shadows to use, etc.  But you
should read through the README file on their website for details on how to set these
up.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.