[LUG] nVidia card Drivers

Hi,
I recently bought a nVidia Tornado Geforce FX 5200. I have the driver for all nVidia graphics cards on a LXF DVD. After reading the readme I realised I needed to kill X. I eventually managed to move the mouse fast enough to get X into the top list. I changed to tty6  and typed  kill then X's pid. X stayed closed  for a few seconds then reopened and I was flicked back to tty7.  In short how on FC4 do I kill X then keep it closed.
Thanks

--
Tom (the younger)