Re: [LUG] re: network and broadband

Robin Cornelius wrote:

On Monday 01 August 2005 19:54, Simon Robert wrote:

The devolo plugs seem to work fine, though I've not been on line yet. Around the house the speed seems OK. It took about 15 minutes to transfer 1GB, is that a reasonable result? I have two plugs in adjoining

They sound quite a useful device, do you need any additional *filters* to stop, for example, your neighbour having identical plugs and using your connection?

According to the blurb any "leakage" should be stopped by the main fuse board, unless it's very old. In addition you can apply an encryption password to the dplug network which means even if a neighbour does have them and can receive yours the data is rubbish. Each plug has a unique ID for registration on your "network". Have a look at the devolo website, they do appear to be telling the truth. Sounds more secure than wireless. A warning - www.broadbandstuff.co.uk and amazon were selling the starter kit, two plugs plus ethernet cables, for £69, but another web based broadband supplier was doing the same stuff at £105.

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk