[LUG] Local DNS, webcaching??

I did this once some years back, but now have no memory of it (severe
bouts of illness characterised by greyouts/blackouts seems to take a
chunk of memory cells with it every time it happens :-(( and my cursory
notes are incomplete and whats left I cannae ken nay muir...

Since moving to ADSL (via the Phone Coop but on BT local copper and
however BT's wire gets to the Phone Coop) it seems to take ages for
webpages to initiate loading. On a 2mb link once each bit starts loading
it goes quick quick, so browsing a site is a series of rapid rabbit hops
with gaps of irritating length in between.

Is the solution to the "looking up" time lag a local DNS cache? How can
I set that up?

Is the solution to the way each backstep on a browser results in a long
wait before the items load up to cache the pages locally on the home
network?

We've got a dedicated fileserver (grossly overspecified with 256mb ram
and 450mhz!) and a smoothwall box.

Indicators most welcome (I've misplaced my box of manuals and books on
the move out of Oxford, so am a bit bereft of technical information, not
that I understand much out of manuals at times...).